Thursday, November 18, 2010

Paper Piecing Tutorial

Do you like to paper piece??  I love it.  i quite often buy certain stamps because they are easy to paper piece.  I love Magnolia stamps for this very reason.  Tilda's outfits are normally fantastic to paper piece.
i thought i would do a quick tutorial to show you how i do it in case you are a bit hesitant about trying it.  Its so easy and a great quick and effective way to add some real 'pop' to your creations.

Warning this is going to get photo heavy!!

Step one.
I choose my image I want to use and stamp it as normal on my Copic X-Press It paper.  Something that has the clothes free from any obstruction is best.  for example with no hands or flowers or other 'bits' in the way of the clothes.  i am using Sneaky Tilda from the new Christmas collection.

Step two.
  I find a nice patterned paper that has a small pattern.  the smaller 6x6 pads that paper companies are releasing are normally great as the patterns on the paper have been reduced.  Bec has a nice selection in store!!I then re-ink my stamp but trying to only ink the bits I need.  No point wasting the paper!!!
This can also be a great way to use up scraps of paper!!  And we all have those!!!

Step three
Now here comes the fiddly bits.  cutting out the individual clothes.  Now with this image the outfit could be cut out as one full piece and still look amazing!  However i choose to cut out the top and pants seperate as I wanted to have the frill a different colour.  I'm a sadist to myself..lol
Now a trick I learnt from my days of doing paper tole many moons ago.  If the core of your paper is white and most are, its a good idea to run around the edge of your bits that you have cut out with either a matching colour pen or just a black one.  i normally use just a black one.  It gives the pieces a bit of 'pop'.


Step four.

I then go about colouring all the bits of my image that will not be paper pieced.  Like face, hair etc.  So your image will look like this.  Even though you kind of cant tell from photo the frills on her outfit have been slightly coloured using C0, C1 to add shadows as i want them to appear white.



Step five.
Now its time to glue your paper clothes in place!  try not to put too much glue on as you dont want it leaking out the sides, or your paper to wrinkle as it dries.
I then grab my W1, W3 copics and add a bit of shadow to the clothes for depth.  this isnt necessary but just adds another dimension.  i hope you can see it in the photo.  It doesnt have to be much just a bit where shadows and wrinkles would be.

Step six.
Now its time to use your paper pieced beauty to create a card or project of your choosing.  i have made a card with my Tilda.

I have used one of Bec's freebie digi sentiments on my card.  Arent they awesome!!!
Roses, rosebuds, leaves, spellbinders dies and copics are all found in Bec's store as well.
I hope you have found something of interest in my tutorial.  i would love to see your creations!!

maybe enter into our November challenge with your creation!!!

15 comments:

Emma said...

Fantastic Tutorial Leonie! Tilda looks AWESOME!

Unknown said...

Wow great tutorial Leonie!! Gorgeous card too!! *hugz*

Tricia Williams said...

A big THANKYOU :O) Great tutorial and a wonderful card!!

Unknown said...

Fantastic tut Thanks very much.
Chris x

The twins mum said...

Thank you so much I have always wanted to know how to do this. I will give it a go on the weekend thanks again
Maree
x

angelique (anlou) said...

amazing tutorial sweetie
thanks for sharing
your card is just stunning
hugs angelique

charlene said...

Awesome job my friend ! Your card is adorable and I am off to make on myself !
Hugs

Unknown said...

Great tutorial, I'll have to give this a go. Thanks so much. Your card is fantastic :0)

Denise Sebold Esteves said...

Thank you!! So beautiful.

Hugs

Denise

Diffirent Shades Of Life said...

Great tutorial and love the end result.
hugs
Sue xo

Diffirent Shades Of Life said...

PS awesome colouring and what colours did you use for her hair? Looks great!
xo

Cheryl said...

Great tutorial, I havn't tried this technique yet, but after seeing your wonderful instructions I will give it a go. Thanks so much,

Carrie said...

Thank you for sharing this technique with me, I am definitely going to be giving it a try soon xxx

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tutorial. Thank you for sharing and inspiring us.
Naush
Doodlebuddies

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

GRRREEEAT idea. Thanks for sharing.